TRAVELBOOK SALE

Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Town that heals

I am not a hardcore traveler but I confess that visiting the whole Philippine Islands is one of my frustrations. I grew up flipping pages of Mabuhay Magazines,admiring landscapes and going out-of-town became my escapes for boredom and emptiness. For me , something was filled within every time I had nature trips. I was in the peak of my desire of going out-of-town , until something has happened.

It was May 2011 and i was pregnant, the fact that my pregnancy was unplanned and due to impulsiveness, I was anxious and feared of being not able to go out and travel again. I can't helped but entertained the scenario playing over my mind that being a Mom will defer any future plans of an easy-go-lucky woman like me. I was worried that i'll get stuck for 9 months and that's horrible for me . I can't imagine being a a full-time corporate working mom and not having a moment for myself! Was this a penance for being an irresponsible-laid-back woman?

This distressing emotion succumbed my mind and I immediately decided to have my last out of town for that year and it should be for myself! I usually go out of town with friends so this will seem a hibernation for me to relax and rest my weary mind! I have asked a friend to accompany me on his place and decided to explore some places in Southern Leyte, Maasin .

Visiting this town was actually a double purpose: To loosen up and to personally meet a friend.

It was June when I decided to book for August 2011 for a trip to Leyte and searched for hotels.

A few chosen friends knew that i will be doing this out of town. Funny thing was , some friends also advises me not to pursue because this town is popular for witchcraft. They said that on meeting with Julius i might get cursed and he might give me a ''gayuma" ( love potion ) and won't let me go back in Cavite. So whatever happens so-be-it!

Leyte for me is an underrated town in Philippines. I wasn't heard anything much of this town unlike other towns. Seems they've just lacking advertisements! That's why when I set foot on this town, I promised to enjoy and discover more of this , aside from what i have read.

Cacao Falls in Maasin Leyte

The 3D/2N tour that i had planned was extended for another 3 weeks. I bled due to the activity i did on my 2nd day riding a ''habal-habal''(motorcycle). I got tired and that didn't allowed me to travel back to Cavite. The Ob-Gyne gave me a matter-of-life-and-death question of ''Iabort nimo ang bata para mubyahe ka pauli sa Cavite o bedrest?'' ( Abort the baby and go back in Cavite or bedrest? ). I was stunned and responded after few seconds.

Despite of my resistance to stay, at the back of my mind , I feared for my life and for the life that i am carrying. After all it was all my fault! I prioritized my impulsiveness and now I am suffering dealing with my guilty conscience. I've been selfish and realized that this time should be different. I told a friend that I will stay and need a hotel wherein I could stay for another 3 weeks, yet, he offered their house .

Next step i did was to call our HR Officer that im so lucky is my friend and asked her to helped me process documents needed to extend my filed vacation . A conference call for my parents and friends informing them that i am staying and resting on this town , assuring them that I am in good hands.

Still, these 3 weeks was never wasted! I got time seeing Macrohon but this time I am more cautious. I studied basic Visayan language and also celebrated my 30th birthday. It wasn't that glamorous, but meaningful for me! That's the first time I celebrated my birthday without my friends and family. It was weird, but special after all. It was , because I'm 30 and I'm a Mom!


Kuting Reef in Macrohon Southern Leyte

This sweet town helped me recover from the shattered mind I had. To strongly look forward and deal life with acceptance! It leads me to embrace Motherhood and dismiss selfishness. After all, freedom of going out was not taken away from me , it will be minimized. I knew that going back to Cavite will not be the same life I've had since I decided pursuing pregnancy .It was still vivid in my mind how this travel healed me. Yes, every town have its own appeal but for me , I am claiming the tranquility , security and happiness I've experienced in Leyte. People are so accommodating. I've felt sincerity from their smile. How his family accepted a total stranger like me. Neighborhood offered the same kindness. It was very rare in these times that you'll find people with amicable character.

Southern Leyte is really a HOME for me . I have felt love on that city and been in-love! I surmise, a friend was correct on her judgement that I might be cursed going there for the first time. I was, and really am in love with that town . I promised that after I gave birth, I will go back and visit another place. I did last 2012 and we're already booked for 2014.


Digyo Island of Cuatros Islas

It was 3 years ago, and my son , was born healthy and smart ! Julius and I we're still together, but this time, we're together here in Cavite. He was a total stranger but he's my man up until now. Life may offer uncertainties between us , however, what I have experienced on his town was merely remarkable! I am not a laid-back woman anymore but a responsible one.

Actually, a new life that's full of hope and dreams was also born after i gave birth.

6 comments:

Jua Neo said...

oh Lelay! I admire you for that. Wishing you more and all the best in life.

Anonymous said...

love it!!

obraengkantada said...

Thanks Barbara!! hahaahha : )

Anonymous said...

Lelie, while im reading this nag flashback sa kin when we're in high school...pang Lightseeker! (Dyaryo ng tironians, tama ba ko). ;)

obraengkantada said...

Haha! Cnu kaw?! Photographer lgn ako sa LightSeeker e hehe ..di po ako contributor dun. Pero tama ka.. magkabatchmate tyo! Apir! :)

Mariedel said...

It's my hometownπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ. And I live in cavite now